- Seamanship:- includes parts of the boat, types of warp, knots, chain, anchoring, tying up, preparation for sea and port or starboard tack.
- Introduction to chart work:- chart Familiarisation, points of the compass, latitude and longitude, position of an object, using a Portland type plotter, finding position on a chart.
- Tidal heights and streams:- what causes tides, terminology, tidal height calculations, using tide tables, using the tidal curve, secondary ports, computation of rates, tidal streams using tidal diamonds and the tidal stream atlas.
- Position fixing:-, compass variation, compass deviation, position fixing using various methods, dead reckoning and estimated position.
- Course to steer:- How to plot a course to steer taking into account tidal flow and leeway, how to maintain an accurate ground track.
- GPS:- Abbreviations and terminology, how to use a GPS, raster and vector charts and updating charts.
- Buoyage and pilotage:- Available information, identification of buoys and their lights and shapes, using forward and back bearings, using tidal graphs.
- Safety:- Safety briefs, mayday and rescue, life jackets, abandon ship, actions in fog and radar reflectors.
- Meteorology:- Weather forecasts, weather systems, global effects, local effects, highs and lows and sources of weather information.
- Passage planning:- Puts everything together to form a plan for a safe passage taking into account pilotage for entering and leaving marinas and tides, conditions and wind direction for the main passage.
- Collision regulations:- General regulations, lights, shapes, sound signals, collision avoidance, stand on and give way.
- Passage making:- Making a longer passage taking into account tidal heights, streams, port entry and exit, weather, ports of refuge, waypoints, crew management and supplies.
|The course includes Revision to day Skipper level and the coastal Yachtmaster offshore online course including charts, almanac, course notes, connection to the RYA plotter simulator, plotter and dividers and the online assessment.
Free plotter and dividers so all you need is a pencil and a table.
Free mini radar simulator and boat handling animations unique to Navathome courses
|RYA Coastal Yachtmaster / Yachtmaster Offshore|